Home Learning & Thinking
Home Learning and Thinking
In order to ensure a high quality level of education for all of our children and that each child can be supported in their learning, we are linking ‘home learning’ to current learning in each year group. We want to continue to build clear channels of communication between home and school, and fully understand the value of working together with parents to promote a love of learning.
Home Learning during these early years should not be daunting or worrying but should give each child the opportunity to practise the skills learned in school, enabling them to succeed. We expect all children to select a minimum number of the set tasks and challenges.
- Ensure that parents are clear about what their child is expected to complete as home learning
- Ensure consistency of approach throughout the school
- Use home learning as a tool to help continue to raise standards of attainment
- Improve the quality of the learning experience offered to pupils and to extend it beyond the classroom environment
- Provide opportunities for parents, children and the school to work together in partnership in relation to children’s learning
- Encourage pupils and their parents to share and enjoy learning experiences
- Reinforce work covered in class by providing further opportunities for individual learning
- Practice or consolidate basic skills and knowledge, especially in English and Maths
The school policy for home learning has been developed in line with our launch of our school becoming a Thinking School. This involves learning how to think, reflectively, critically and creatively. The home learning structure will follow the six Thinking Hats and different skills that we need to develop and apply in order to enjoy and achieve.
- Read daily (all year groups)
- Learn any words or phonics which are sent home such as their individual mistakes or lists of common words and complete the spelling homework
- Learn any basic mathematical facts such as multiplication tables or number bonds through, for example, ‘Times Tables Rock Stars - https://ttrockstars.com/